Articles on this Page
- 02/12/13--13:23: _Poe’s Point > St...
- 02/12/13--13:30: _Toy Fair 2013: NECA
- 02/12/13--13:33: _Watch: Toy Fair 201...
- 02/12/13--13:37: _More Adventure Time...
- 02/12/13--13:45: _Mega Bloks® Barbie®...
- 02/12/13--14:00: _Toy Fair 2013: Squa...
- 02/12/13--14:11: _This Company Needs ...
- 02/12/13--14:19: _The Oral-B Professi...
- 02/12/13--14:42: _Box Tops for Educat...
- 02/12/13--15:00: _Toy Fair 2013: I He...
- 02/12/13--16:05: _McFarlane Toys NHL ...
- 02/12/13--16:25: _Toy Art Gallery x S...
- 02/12/13--16:30: _Toy Fair 2013: DC C...
- 02/12/13--17:00: _Luke Chueh x Munky ...
- 02/12/13--17:19: _[video] How toy mak...
- 02/12/13--17:33: _Brain Bug Boogie Ma...
- 02/12/13--18:49: _Pokémon TV App, Now...
- 02/12/13--19:01: _Predator Series 10 ...
- 02/12/13--19:21: _TFsource 2-11 Sourc...
- 02/12/13--19:41: _Manga Festival Sing...
- 02/12/13--13:30: Toy Fair 2013: NECA
- 02/12/13--13:33: Watch: Toy Fair 2013: iPad Toys Take Over
- 02/12/13--13:37: More Adventure Time Paper Foldables
- 02/12/13--14:00: Toy Fair 2013: Square Enix
- Hideo Kojima spoiled this a bit, but there's new Liquid Snake and Metal Gear Solid 2 Raiden figures. Also in the mix are three Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance Raiden figures; a normal colorway in black and blue, a European exclusive in white and a Diamond exclusive in red. All three are the biggest Play Arts Kais yet: nearly a foot tall.
- The Man of Steel license was announced again, and both the Arkham City and Nolan Batman movie PAKs were on display in full effect. The Joker one is of note as it comes with three faces; the bank robbery face, a normal makeup face and a battle-worn face similar to the one we saw at the end of the film.
- On the game front, we saw the Halo, Kingdom Hearts, Street Fighter, Tekken and Medal of Honor: Warfighter Play Arts Kai figures. This includes Warfighter's Preacher and the new KH: Dream Drop Distance figures of Sora and Riku.
- On the other hand, new at the show were Resident Evil 6's Leon Kennedy and Helena Harper.
- Also appearing at the show were a bunch of Final Fantasy VII Play Arts Kai, including a painted Rufus Shinra with his alternate, bandaged head; Yuffie, and Vincent.
- Finally, we'll save the biggest news for last; Square Enix's DC license is now extending into totally original designs. Yes, these are not connected to the New 52 or Injustice: Gods Among Us designs, but apparently entirely new ones that have a more mech feel to them. Wonder Woman, Batman, Green Lantern, Flash and Batgirl are the starting lineup for this series. Not sure how I feel about it yet. It's ... different, for sure.
- 02/12/13--14:11: This Company Needs a New Transformers Movie
- 02/12/13--14:19: The Oral-B Professional™ Series Deep Sweep™ TRIACTION™ – Giveaway
- 02/12/13--14:42: Box Tops for Education: Pantry Stock Up – Giveaway
- 02/12/13--15:00: Toy Fair 2013: I Heart Guts
- 02/12/13--16:05: McFarlane Toys NHL Series 33 Lineup & Images
- 02/12/13--16:25: Toy Art Gallery x Scott Tolleson Toxic GID Deadbeet (2.13)
- 02/12/13--16:30: Toy Fair 2013: DC Collectibles - Statues
- 02/12/13--17:00: Luke Chueh x Munky King - Black & Gold Target Luke Chueh has...
- 02/12/13--17:19: [video] How toy makers embrace the iPad
- 02/12/13--17:33: Brain Bug Boogie Man – Kinkeshi Version
- 02/12/13--18:49: Pokémon TV App, Now Out and Free The amount of Pokémon news that...
- 02/12/13--19:01: Predator Series 10 Nightstorm With Mask On
- 02/12/13--19:41: Manga Festival Singapore
Phil Reed of Battlegrip.com has a post up, “Five Reasons Why Hasbro’s ‘Star Wars Black’ Will Fail,” detailing why he believes the just-announced Star Wars Black 6″ Series (SWB6) will end by 2016 at the latest. First off, a three-year run by any toy line is pretty impressive in this day and age, but that’s beside [...]
The variety seen in the franchises NECA has chosen to adapt is a little mind-boggling. Steam-punk alternate American history, giant monster-fighting mecha, teen vigilantes, various dystopian futures, and most recently superheroes. As such, it's impossible to know where to start talking especially in light of how much was revealed.
The biggest attention-grabbers might the "Motorized Patriot" figure (from the upcoming Bioshock Infinite), the Pacific Rim mecha, and the 1/4 scale superheroes. Of those, I suppose the freaky-as-hell Motorized Patriot figure might be the most "what I am looking at?!" as it seems like something straight out of Doctor Who. The sculpting features a great amount of detail and the paintwork is very solid. It's one of those things where I can appreciate the craftsmanship and art of figure without ever wanting to own one.
Of course, the biggest unveil was quite literally the 1/4 scale Adam West Batman, Michael Keaton Batman, Iron Man, and Captain America. While I previously criticized the Adam West's skin as being abnormally pale, it seems like the photos on which that opinion was based may not have properly captured the color and the skin tone seems more in line with its source material. I think that the 1/4 line shows some definite promise but, out of the current roster, I imagine the only one I may buy is the Iron Man.
Pacific Rim may very well be the most awesome movie to come out this year and its figure line seems fairly cool as well. Two of the mecha look fantastic while I'm less enthused by the third's design.
In terms of other video game figures on display, we also had Atlas and P-Body from Portal 2. The new 3.75-inch Gears of War figures were on display. Team Fortress received not only a new Soldier figure (due out this Summer) but also a chess set. I've heard some mixed things about the chess set and, while I've never played the games, I do like the look of the set.
Film-wise, we also had a look at the ED-209 from Robo Cop (Drop your weapon!), the kids from Kick Ass 2, and some more Prometheus figures. And, on the Heroclix front, apparently both Pacific Rim and Bioshock Infinite will be receiving Heroclix figures. I'm not sure how the whole compatibility will work.
With so many items on display, I'd like to say that I have a hard time deciding to what I'm most looking forward. However, after seeing those Pacific Rim figures, that answer is surprisingly easy. How about you guys?
For many new toys it's iPad required.
If you like the Carton Network series Adventure Time and are a fan of paper toys, Bryan from Paper Foldables has you covered. In conjunction with CN, they have released three new Adventure Time characters: Fionna, Cake, and Peppermint Butler. You can print out them (and a boat load of others)via the above Cartoon Network [...]
My girls love to build all kinds of things and more recently Brooklin has really enjoyed the new Mega Bloks® Barbie® play sets and she was thrilled when we received the new Mega Bloks® Barbie® Build ‘n Style Pet Shop to review. I think sets like these are so great for girls and it would make a great gift... [Continue Reading]
Fans of Square Enix's Play Arts Kai line probably wish they could have seen Square Enix's booth at Toy Fair 2013. It was an avalanche of Play Arts Kai figures of all shapes and sizes from a ton of different franchises. Here's a little bit of a list to help get you through the gallery:
Check out the gallery for all the photos from the Square Enix booth, and let us know what you're thinking after seeing these Toy Fair wares!
The Oral-B Professional™ Series Deep Sweep™ TRIACTION™ Rechargeable Electric Toothbrush has 5 cleaning modes, it’s bristles reach 2x deeper between teeth and provide superior cleaning. Oral-B’s most technologically advanced toothbrush, the Deep Sweep + Smart Guide 5000 provides Oral-B’s most advanced cleaning technology for ultimate plaque removal. We received one to review and really like how it... [Continue Reading]
After a flurry of holiday hoopla and getting settled into the new year, it’s time to get back to the routine. The kids are off to school, the entertaining is over and your shelves are empty. Let Box Tops for Education® help you out with its pantry stock up! My kiddo is always digging through... [Continue Reading]
I Heart Guts has a booth at Toy Fair 2013 with some very special plushes on display. Not only are old favorites like their Brain and Gallbladder (reviewed) at the event but so are several newcomers. The Heart of Gold is more of a limited edition colorway of I Heart Guts' previously released Heart plush but the Tooth and Eyeball are brand-spanking new. I am particularly fond of the Tooth. The little guy's grin is quite infectious.
Which of these plushes are your favorites, Tomofolk? Be on the look-out for more Toy Fair coverage right here at Tomopop.
The Deadbeets are multiplying and will soon take over the world. Toy Art Gallery has just announced their exclusive Toxic GID Deadbeet from Scott Tolleson. The new edition will drop on Wednesday (2.13) @ Noon PST for $65. As with the other recent Deadbeet drops, this one comes with an...
The DC Collectibles booth featured a good mix of statues. While the Man of Steel statues may have been among the newest items on the shelf, the most eye-catching was still the DC Bombshells line. The DC Bombshells line, which emulates the style of 1950s pin-up art, saw its initial two entries (Supergirl and Wonder Woman) premiere at NYCC 2012. The two are now joined by a very nice Poison Ivy. There's definitely something to like about this slightly risque but tasteful line.
Both of the Man of Steel statues look great. There's a very strong amount of intricate detail in their armors. Also impressive is the Before Watchmen Ozymandias, whose long robe anchors him into the base and gives the appearance that he's floating. Given that the statue basically replicates cover art, it's a shame that DC Collectibles didn't go the extra step and have his base be part of the Sphinx's head.
The new 1/1 scale Power Battery replicas were on display as well. The series, which is cheaper than the previous replicas, will eventually incorporate the Power Batteries for all of the Lantern factions. I'm unsure as to all of the specs (especially in regards to why these might be cheaper; the previous versions supposedly used painted resin and were prone to chipping) but the lanterns themselves so far all look great and there's a better than average chance that I'll pre-order the Sinestro Corps Power Battery when the opportunity presents itself. So far only the Green Lanterns' Power Battery is currently available for pre-order but I imagine the ones on display will appear later in the year.
Luke Chueh x Munky King - Black & Gold Target
Luke Chueh has been sending hints about a new Target figure with Munky King, and I’m assuming this is it. The hints have been in the form of black and gold packaging so this figure kind of just makes sense. No pricing or sizing has been released, but the figure should drop Saturday, March 16 online and in their studio.
Lulubell Toys has announced details about the release of the latest vinyl from Cure x James Groman: Brain Bug Boogie Man - Kinkeshi Version. This will be a made to order, open run pre-order. The pre-order starts on Friday February 15th 2013 at Noon PT and will run $95.00 plus shipping.
Pokémon TV App, Now Out and Free
The amount of Pokémon news that comes out every week honestly blows my mind.
Today saw the release of the official Pokémon TV app for iTunes and Google Play. Smartphone users can now download the video app to watch different episodes of the Pokémon animated television show. The app rotates 50 different episodes — get this — every single week.
The app is separated by region, which is really awesome, and every episode you can view is free to watch. The app will also be hosting full-length movies, starting with Pokémon the Movie: Kyurem vs. The Sword of Justice from February 15-18. The app will also be debuting the animated short “Meloetta’s Moonlight Serenade” on February 15.
This weekend, there will be an event in Singapore called Manga Festival Singapore which has been organised by METI (Japanese Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry). The main purpose is to spread awareness of Japanese manga to the locals.
My responsibilities after being assigned as a Creative Director for the Japanese government have broadened and I'll be looking after more events like this from now.
Anyway, on the 15th there will be a load of B2B (Business To Business) meetings and lectures while on the 16th, there will be fan event at Kinokuniya (Main Store - 391 Orchard Road, #03-10/15 Takashimaya Shopping Centre, Singapore 238872).
So how is this Hatsune Miku related? Well Miku's dad will be there - Itoh Hiroyuki President of Crypton will be there to give a talk and I will be the panel moderator. He will also be signing along with Yoshizaki Mine - Keroro sensei! If you want me to deface your property then I'll also be available to do so.
The full schedule for the 16th is here. I'll only be attending the event on the 16th - need to skip the 15th as I will be traveling from Kuala Lumpur on that day. I'll probably be there from 3PM this Saturday.
So what is this Moekana card then? Its an exclusive Dakimakura card which I will be giving away free to all folks who show up to the event this Saturday 16th wearing a Moekana T-shirt. The card features Haruka hugging a dakimakura of Mirai Suenaga ^^
If you dont have a Moekana T-shirt, then you still get one of my new business cards - but only if you ask for it. I only brought with me a hundred though.
Folks wearing a Moekana T-shirt will not only get the Dakimakura card but also my new business card too.
Look forward to seeing you on the 16th - dont forget to wear your Moekana T-shirt! Can be any one of the 4 designs that we have released so far.
Details about the whole event at the following resource - comes complete with some Engrish ><
Once the event has taken place, I'll update this post with photos and bump the post to the top.