Articles on this Page
- 12/27/12--16:41: _Transformers Prime ...
- 12/27/12--16:46: _Francesco De Molfet...
- 12/27/12--16:55: _Transformers Genera...
- 12/27/12--16:55: _Transformers Prime ...
- 12/27/12--17:14: _TobyHK 2013 Paper ...
- 12/27/12--17:44: _Year End Clearance ...
- 12/27/12--17:52: _BBTS Sponsor News: ...
- 12/27/12--18:02: _Gentle Giant Ltd. U...
- 12/27/12--18:09: _Cometdebris 2013 Lu...
- 12/27/12--18:31: _NECA’s Django Uncha...
- 12/27/12--18:40: _Custom-Feature: Sku...
- 12/27/12--18:50: _Blister Carded Pack...
- 12/27/12--19:00: _Luchadores Del Espa...
- 12/27/12--19:15: _Limited Edition Tou...
- 12/27/12--19:30: _Bennett Slater &...
- 12/27/12--07:00: _Toys for Tots deliv...
- 12/27/12--18:42: _CJ Night Penang 201...
- 12/27/12--19:18: _A Little Bit on Sha...
- 12/27/12--21:00: _The Marketing of To...
- 12/27/12--22:50: _Kathie Olivas x Tom...
- 12/27/12--16:46: Francesco De Molfetta x TAG Michelangelo Lifesize Fiberglass Figures
- 12/27/12--17:14: TobyHK 2013 Paper Toy Calendar
- 12/27/12--17:44: Year End Clearance Sale at Entertainment Earth
- 12/27/12--18:02: Gentle Giant Ltd. Updates Fans on Their 2013 Q1 Release Schedue
- 12/27/12--18:09: Cometdebris 2013 Lucky Bags (12.31)
- 12/27/12--18:31: NECA’s Django Unchained 8″ Action Figures Now Available
- 12/27/12--18:40: Custom-Feature: SkullSkin by Jon-Paul Kaiser
- 12/27/12--19:00: Luchadores Del Espacio Resin Figurine from Eddie Dobson
- 12/27/12--19:15: Limited Edition Touma x Hamill buttons
- 12/27/12--19:30: Bennett Slater & Andrew DeGraff @ Gallery 1988 in 2013
- 12/27/12--07:00: Toys for Tots delivers again
- 12/27/12--18:42: CJ Night Penang 2012 Winter Registrations Open
- Date: Saturday January 5th 2013
- Time: 1PM - 6PM - come and leave anytime.
- Venue: St. Jo's at Gurney Paragon
- Address: Persiaran Gurney, Georgetown, 10250 Pulau Pinang
- Google Map: http://ow.ly/govRN
- Entrance Fee: RM0 - we managed to get the venue for free! If I dont need to pay for the venue then I dont charge you. I only charge entrance when I need to pay for the venue.
- As with previous events, we have undercover police to make sure that trolls are dragged out by the goolies and to make sure that everybody has a fun time on the night.
- Changing room for cosplayers available.
- There will be tables to display your daughters - bring them along!
- No smoking, no alcohol, farting ok as long as its the odor level does not go above Ninja.
- Please keep an eye on your belongings!
- If you got a pack of Moekana - bring it along!
- Please use the hash tag #culturejapan
- Once you have registered then just turn up on the day!
- Bring a name card with you if you plan on networking - all the reasons why you should name a name card anyway are covered in this post.
- If you are a designer and interested in working for me, please bring printed portfolio. If you are a programmer then bring a sample of what you have built on a laptop.
- 12/27/12--19:18: A Little Bit on Shawnimals
- 12/27/12--21:00: The Marketing of Toys Based on Gender
- 12/27/12--22:50: Kathie Olivas x Tomenosuke Calliope Jackalope #2 Weakening Rope
Thanks to TFW member Yobuster, Transformers Prime Beast Hunters Ripclaw has been revealed via a packaging error found at retail on a deluxe wave Soundwave toy. The reveal gives us a look at Ripclaw's robot and alternate dragon modes and the the bio summary that exposes Ripclaw is a FEMBOT who will be joining forces with Predaking and Lazerback. Read from the bio: "Unquestionably loyal to the Predacon cause, RIPCLAW crushes her enemies and leaves their circuits burning with her mech-venom!" Check out the image after the jump to see it now.
Toy Art Gallery continues its signature Lifesize Figure Series with Italian artist Francesco De Molfetta’s Michelangelo in six editions. Standing 32” tall, these new editions add impressive scale to his creation which blends Michelangelo’s classic David with the iconic and modern Michelin Man mascot. The six editions are limited to...
Just as the FoC Bruticus toys were being sold for the first time we got wind there would be several versions of it. This one is the G2 model that is an Amazon exclusive. All in all these toys are an impressive feat of engineering and are overall very successful. I do feel they were a bit more ambitious than the needed to be and that has hurt them. Either way, this set is recommended at normal retail and not a penny more.
I happened upon this figure and at first I laughed off. Not another Bumblebee. However... to my surprise.. this one is pretty awesome! My review of Transformers Prime Beast Hunters Deluxe Bumblebee! (LOADED with weapons....)
It’s been awhile since we’ve heard from TobyHK, so we’re happy to bring you news of his new 2013 Paper Toy Calendar subtitled ‘Please Let Me Position on Your Table A Month’. Rather than just creating a calendar featuring images of toys, Toby has turned each month’s calendar into a...
All new pre-orders and new arrivals from our friends at BigBadToyStore.com ————- NEW PREORDERS ————- HD MASTERPIECE 1/4 SCALE T-800 – BATTLE DAMAGED VERSION Enterbay has announced a new version of their 1/4 Scale Terminator figure. This version comes from “T2: Judgment Day” and includes a battle-damaged head sculpt with light-up red eye, regular and [...]
Koji Harmon has just announced that there will be three Cometdebris 2013 Lucky Bag offerings – Sametan, Kappa Shonen and the Large bag. The Sametan bag ($40) will feature an unpainted mixed parts Sametan vinyl featuring assorted unreleased color parts. The Kappa Shonen bag ($90) features a one-of-a-kind custom painted...
Attention all lovers of classic action figures! Django Unchained Series 1 is out now! Django Unchained hits theaters Christmas Day, and it just wouldn’t be Quentin Tarantino if there wasn’t some love for the ’70s involved. True to the vibe of the film and to Tarantino’s aesthetic, our new Django Unchained action figures are classics [...]
Yesterday I posted sneaks of Jon-Paul Kaiser's custom SKULLSKIN - today, we reveal them in full glory! Check out MORE images uploaded unto my this dedicated album on Facebook. Yet another awesome do, Jon-Paul!"It was a private commission for a Christmas present, so I had to keep quiet about it and I was given free reign with the subject matter."
3A Toys reveals their exclusives for the January 2013 Thailand Toy Expo, with both the Tomorrow King and Tomorrow Queen house in blister-carded packaging. Mind you, this is 1/6th-scale, so the piece looks as large as 18-inch tall perhaps? Be careful not to bend that blister-card backing, folks - if you intend to have it's value remain! LOL
"Irimi" is deaf cuteness in her baby dress tho! No
'Do you like Luchadors? Do you like Astronauts?' Creator (of Monkeynaut Eddie Dobson certainly does, and he shares with us a new series up for preorder with the resin piece priced at US$80 per, and with the blind-bagged 20 pieces featuring the following ratios: 4 x blue / white,
4 x red / yellow,
4 x green / red,
4 x purple / white, and
4 x Mystery colors.
With a shipping schedule timed at
And only 5 days left for the 25% off sale on nathanhamill.bigcartel.com (Enter "HAMILLHOLIDAYS"), and Nathan Hamill offers up FREE Limited Edition Touma x Hamill buttons for the first 8 orders. Here are ow they look, and good luck to the first 8! Hey, I love buttons, what can I say? LOL
EVENT-PRESS: 'Gallery1988 is proud to kick off 2013 with a 2-person show at our Melrose location, exhibiting new works from artists Bennett Slater (above-left) and Andrew DeGraff (above-right). The show, of new paintings and prints, will debut with an opening reception on Saturday, Jan. 5th from 7-10 PM. Both artists will be in attendance. The work from this show is stunning and is a perfect way
SOMERVILLE T — he annual Toys for Tots program, conducted by the Somerset County Sheriff’s Office, was once again a huge success.
After a most incredible CJ Night Kuala Lumpur, we decided to do one in Penang! And Touch n Go will be there with more TnG designs that you see in this photo! And yes - the star on the Malaysian flag is wrong in this photo but the printed version will be fixed. They will be RM20 and only 1000pcs available - will also have the previous 4 designs too. No limit on the number that you can buy.
Will also bring some of the T-shirts and carry cases that were sold at Comic Fiesta.
If you got Moekana T-shirt then come along in it!
If you want to sell your non-ecchi doujin stuff then leave a comment - will prep a table for you - I dont need % of your sales either.
And this is the venue which is organised for us by the Penang Tourism Board! I'm driving up to Penang with my staff. If you are free over the weekend but are not from Penang then come and join us! Cosplay, Moekana, networking and I will give a talk about what I've been up to of late.
There is no food but when the event is finished we can all go together to the hawker center on Gurney Drive for om nom nom - you pay for your own food though ^^;
See you on Saturday 5th!
Shawn Smith, founder of Shawnimals, was awesome enough to do an interview with Albotas after a grueling signing session at NYCC 2012. Hit the link to read about the origins of NinjaTown, the art of plush, and Shawn’s days of writing for EGM.
Introduce yourself, o Bearded One.
Hey, I’m Shawn Smith from Shawnimals. I’m the creator and owner of the business with my wife, Jen. We’re a character design studio. We make primarily plush toys, but really any kind of character-branded merchandise. We’re best known for NInjatown, our Pocket Pork Dumplings, and Mustachios.
How did you arrive at plush as a medium?
We arrived at plush as a medium basically as a way to make toys ourselves. There’s a lot of resin toys and vinyl toys that require manufacturing. But sewing and making things out of fabric is very direct. Basically, you have a sewing machine, you have fabric, you have stuffing, and you have this design. To marry those things and have this 3D object exist is something you can just do. Certainly there’s some logistics, there’s some technical knowledge, but compared to, say, pouring resin, or certainly dealing with manufacturers, it’s way easier for us to do it ourselves. It’s basically out of necessity. And of course my aesthetic jives really well with that as a medium because it’s cute; it’s kind of soft-looking. So plush toys just kind of make sense.
How did the Wee Ninja design come about?
The Wee Ninja design originally was in 2003. The Wee Ninja was part of this thing called Shawnimite Village. This early idea was that we, from a product standpoint, wanted to make small plush. We hadn’t really done that yet. We just had these relatively big plush that we were doing one-offs of. So we introduced this idea of multiples to our product line and everything was handmade at this point.
So from there, the story of Shawnimites, these mini Shawnimals, was that Mr. Demon was manufacturing this “good vs. evil” theme with these characters. So there was The Corn Niblits vs. The Wee Peas, The Thumbs vs. The Fingers, The Wee Ninjas vs. The Wee Devils. So this was in 2003, and it just existed with the singular character of the Wee Devil. And from there, 2005 is really when Ninjatown, as a world, started being populated.
My dream job from the age of 12 to when the magazine shut down was to write for EGM. Was it the awesome experienced I had always imagined?
Working at EGM was the absolute best job - the best years of my life in a lot of ways. It was exactly what you think. It was a bunch of gamers getting together and we played games constantly, we wrote about them, we kind of lived and breathed games for that entire time. I started part time in 1994. I went full time in 1996 and I worked there until 2000 - basically from the end of Super Nintendo through the start of PlayStation 2 more or less.
It was just fantastic. I traveled around the world to a bunch of movie premiers, traveled to London to play video games and then flew back. For a guy in his early 20s it was just absolutely a dream job.
So what are a few of your favorite games?
Basically, anything by Treasure, so Gunstar Heroes jumps out as a clear favorite. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night is a just phenomenal game and it hold up today. You could just play that start to finish right now and it would be as good as any kind of contemporary gaming experience as far as I’m concerned.
I like games that utilize your creativity. I really love Scribblenauts. I think what they did with their engine was ingenious. It is a simple puzzle game in a lot of ways but the craziness, like how you can finish those levels - I just absolutely loved that part of it.
I’m a sucker for party games. So I totally love any of the music games. I’m really fond of Rock Band and puzzle games like You Don’t Know Jack now that that’s back in full force.
But I’m definitely an old school gamer. I’ll pick up mostly any 16-bit game and totally get into it.
What’s new with Shawnimals? What have you guys been working on?
We always have something new on the horizon, but with everything new that we come up with, sometimes old stuff is going to be set aside. So, the big news is that we’re going to end Ninja of the Month. 2012 will be the final year, but we will be introducing something new with 2013 that’s Ninjatown-related and will be highly collectible. All of our Ninjatown fans and our Shawnimals fans will enjoy what we have to come.
Beyond that we want to have something new for iOS and Android, but there’s nothing concrete to talk about quite yet.
Readers react to an Op-Ed column objecting to toy departments largely segregated by gender.